Saturday, October 17, 2009

Volunteering

It has been a while since I participated in an event as a volunteer. For over ten years my family and I worked an aid station in the Voyager Trail 50. We got to see everyone right after the infamous power lines on the way out and then on the way back we would have to tell them that they were much easier than they remembered. The fact that they had run 36 miles was a hard point to argue but we did our best. Lately I have spent a great deal of my time racing and have not had the chance to see the other side of a race which most consider a thankless job. Today I helped with course control for the Harvest Run. It was a simple job as most of the race was on the Lakewalk in Duluth, Minnesota so the race only had to cross one road. This road was not extremely busy to I was able to tend to my duties as well as watch the race. I was amazed at how many people thanked me while they ran past. To take the time and breathe to thank a race official is one of the most selfless acts I have witnessed. I know how precious each breath is during a running race, and what I would give for one more. The race was lucky it was a beautiful day, which made it easy to smile, and offer words of encouragement but I think that it could have been sleeting and it still would have been an easy job. It is amazing how nice it was to see the appreciation these runners and walkers had for those who help out with an event that they paid to participate in. The job was in fact far from thankless and I would encourage anyone who has run a race to volunteer, not only is it fun to see the other end of a race participants are quite gracious. This is a lesson I will remember the next time I pin a number to my chest, a small thanks or smile is worth the breathe that is lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment