Saturday, January 9, 2010

More Wandering

Today I filled the morning finding out when I need to catch my train to the Gold Coast tomorrow morning. After that I went the the Queen Street Mall and wandered around the shops. After that I visited some parkas and museums.

The first point of attraction I saw was the Botanical Garden. It is just outside of the government buildings. There are many ponds and wooded areas. The park runs along the end of a point that is surrounded by the Brisbane River. Other interesting features in the Garden are a very large outdoor theatre and a mooring for sailboats.

The first museum I looked at was the Queensland Maritime Museum. It was quite riveting. The history of Brisbane is directly tied to the water. The museum covered history from the beginning of the cities roots and but revolved for the most part around the dry dock that was built in 1881. There was also a lot of information on Australia and Queensland’s involvement in both World Wars.

This boat was used to sail from Canada to Australia. It is less than two meters long.

On my way from the Maritime Museum farther into South Bank I wandered through a market. It was neat seeing all the different local crafts. There are quite different than the ones found in the USA. After this I walked past the City Beach to the Queensland Museum. I got there just before closing and wasn’t able to see much more that part of one floor. Next time I am in town I will have to go back and see what else there it has to offer.

After the museum closed I went back into South Bank and had an amazing fish sandwich next the City Beach. I don’t have much experience with seafood but it was pretty good!


4 comments:

  1. Jason!

    Sounds like you are having a great time! Good to hear you already ate some fish... jealous! I cannot believe someone was crazy enough to take that little boat from AUS to CA. Must of been a long trip.

    Love to hear about your trip. I woke up this morning and it was -13 in the cities... so be happy you are in the heat!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That fish sandwich does sound good! Brisbane looks lovely! Glad you are getting to see it! The low last night at Llano Grande was 28 degrees F. So, even Texas is "cold". Soak up the heat for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Per.

    Hi Jason, I hope you are having a good time in Australia. We went to the kite festival on Lake Harriet today. There are lots of cool kites. It was very cold. Feel lucky that you are in a warm place. I hope I see you soon. From Per

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jason,
    You are doing a great job of writing about your experiences. It is fun to hear and see what you are doing.

    Good luck withh the train tomorrow!

    Peg & Glenn

    ReplyDelete